Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Protective Style: Braids and Senegalese Twists

Ok, so this year we have seen a lot of braid styling, especially in the natural hair community.  I think we can all agree that singer/DJ Solange Knowles has made braids popular again among black women.  The braids that Solange wears are called "Poetic Justice" braids.  If you've seen the 1993 film "Poetic Justice", starring Janet Jackson and Tupac, then you are familiar with these braids in which Janet Jackson's character, Justice wore these briads in the early 1990's.  As a child I remember getting my hair braided like this.  I personally am not crazy over these jumbo braids, I rather opt for a smaller braid, but I think Solange rocks them well!



                                                          Janet Jackson in "Poetic Justice"




I prefer smaller box braids, like the ones in the pics below.





Protective styling is a great way to give your hair a rest from styling day to day, especially during the winter months.  I know for my hair, my hair gets extremely dry in the winter and I don't like wearing my hair out because no matter how much I moisturize it always become dry by the end of the day.   Even celebrities are rocking braids, I just saw Eva Marcille rocking braids on her Instagram, Beyonce and Jada Pinkett Smith.  I dont really think braids went out of style, just a lot of women stopped getting them and now that certain celebrities are making them popular again. 


I've had micro braids, corn rows and sew-ins as protective styles in the past and this winter I'm deciding to get Senegalese twists.  Senegalese twists are similiar to box braids, but instead of braids they are twists.  I'm super excited about getting these (tomorrow) and I hope to grow my hair out more.  I've already youtubed ways to style the twists, so I will make sure I post pictures after they are installed.  The pic below is similiar to how I want mine styled, but I want them longer.




2013 is going to be the year of protecting styling for me.  After my first install I plan on getting them installed again, maybe box braids this time (of course I'll give my hair sometime to breathe and deep condition in between installs).  I also plan on getting a sew-in with a lace closure so all my hair will be protected and I don't have to worry about putting heat on my hair that's left out.  I really want to grow my hair out and  I get hair growth by leaving my hair alone and of course I will spray a good leave-in braid spray and keep my scalp moisturized.  I can't wait to post the pics!


*All pics are from Google Images


What protective style are you wear this winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment